Messiah Lutheran Church is the result of the merger of two local congregations in 1917, Moland and Immanuel, both founded by Norwegian Lutheran pioneers. Prior to the formation of either, worship services had been conducted in what was known as the Stoney Creek Settlement as early as October 24, 1899.
Services of the Moland congregation were held in the homes of its members or the New Salem log schoolhouse. In 1905 the congregation erected its first building and on August 20 two services - one in Norwegian and one in English - were celebrated at its dedication. It was still in use as a place of worship in the 1980s.
Immanuel Norwegian Evangelical Congregation began as a Hague mission society, and was formed in 1909. Its church building was damaged by fire in 1916 and subsequently dismantled and reconstructed as a farm house.
In 1925, the Parkland congregation was included in the parish. Plans to build a new church were made in 1926. By the 1930s the significance of the Norwegian language had considerably diminished until the practice of holding even periodic Norwegian services for those who preferred them had all but died out by the end of the 1940s.
In 1936, the Moland congregation separated from the parish. In 1943 it adopted a new constitution and changed its name to Camrose Lutheran Congregation. By the 1950s, the congregation had grown to the point that it needed a new church home. The current building was officially dedicated on May 4, 1958. In 1961 the congregation decided to change its name to Messiah Lutheran Church.